Top 5 Green Gift Ideas For The Holidays
By: Allison Waldbeser
Ahh…the holidays are finally approaching. Pumpkin spice lattes, cuddle weather, and Christmas music – let’s face it, it IS the most wonderful time of the year. You get to eat your entire weight in one sitting not once, but TWICE in two months. However, something very scary happens between Thanksgiving and New Years, and we’re not talking about those extra pounds we put on from all the amazing food we eat. We’re talking about all the waste created and the non eco-friendly products used due to all that holiday spirit.
Between Thanksgiving and New Years, American’s throw away 1 million pounds of waste.
ONE MILLION POUNDS!?!?!?!?!?!?! That’s a lot of crap we are sending to landfill in a short amount of time, and do you even know what impact the gifts you're buying (or getting) have on the environment? That is why we want to guide you to the most eco-friendly (and vagina friendly) gifts this holiday season to lighten your environmental footprint!
- Give your menstruating friend the gift of a menstrual cup – Yep. You called it – Not only is Lunette cup a vegan product, but our packaging is completely recyclable and compostable, so you might want to double check before you send a Lunette box to the trash bin ;). Our cup is also reusable, meaning it will last several years! Imagine all the money you’d be helping your friend save if they switched to a Lunette cup? Not to mention all the waste they’d prevent by not throwing a tampon or pad in the trash. Click here to pick your favorite color!
- A medical-grade silicone vibrator – Before you jump off your seats and judge the #$%$ out of this one, hold your horses. Just because it’s the holidays doesn’t mean people can’t pleasure themselves?? Self-care people, self-care. So make sure you purchase the safest sex toy there is! Many vibrators are made with Phthalates, a highly toxic chemical that has been linked to causing cancer. We definitely don’t want any of that in or around our vaginas… in that case we recommend trying a product such as Dame or Vibrants. Their materials are completely safe for your body and are phthalate free! Mother Nature would be proud.
- A pH balanced feminine care product – Know someone with chronic yeast infections? Say hello to Momotaro Apotheca. Their products will solve all those itchy vagina nightmares, and they care about their ingredients too! They only use certified organic ingredients that have been shown to combat bacteria and fungal infections. Oh, and once you’re done with it, you can reuse or recycle their glass bottles and plastic-free containers! It's a win-win situation.
- Forget about matching pjs, it’s all about the matching undies – Do you and your family *or friends* tend to get matching pjs for those cute holiday pics? Take it to the next level and get you and your loved ones a pair of organic cotton undies, like Svala. Their collection is a line of sheer lace bras and underwear made from recycled/reclaimed lace leftover from factory surplus. This company cares a lot about sustainability, and their packaging, hangtags, labels, and promotional materials are made with a mixture of recycled kraft and hemp paper. Sustainability is sexy ;)
- Last but not least, everybody loves a good skin-care product – We’re obsessed with this eco-friendly skin care company called Meow Meow Tweet. All their packaging is recyclable and their products are made with 100% organic ingredients, such as this amazing Sweet Orange Papaya body scrub. We also love that their jars are made with glass, so once you’re done with it, you can reuse it! No waste created here.
Now that we gave you FIVE amazing gift ideas for the holiday season, it’s up to you to decide what kind of gifts you’ll be giving this year. Who knows, maybe you’ll even educate your friends and family about other eco-friendly products and to consider only buying “green” gifts to minimize their carbon footprint ;)