Get a FREE Box of Cup Wipes with your Menstrual Cup Purchase

Period panties vs. Tampons vs. Menstrual Cups

What’s the first thing you grab when you’re on your period? For 70% of menstruating humans, reaching for a tampon is second nature, but what about the other 30% who don’t use them? Ever heard of period undies or menstrual cups? Read below to find out more!

 

Period panties

If you’re an avid social media user, public transportation rider, and overall advertising guru, you’ve probably noticed the iconic pictures going around for the new period-proof panties, THINX. Many menstruating humans are intrigued by this new phenomenon, but at the same time a lot of us are scratching our heads wondering how the heck it works. According to their website and further research, THINX underwear is made with a special technology (microfiber polyester) that absorbs your blood. In other words, these materials pull the moister from your vagina away from the body and into the material ~like magic~. Many people love this new alternative because they’re reusable, comfy, and they have multiple designs (hip hugger, high waist, boy short, sport, cheeky, and thong). If you’re one of those people who simply cannot shove a menstrual cup or tampon up your vagina, then period panties are a great alternative to disposable pads!

 

Tampons

I remember my first time trying to put a tampon in…I’ll spare you the details, but you probably have somewhat of an idea and can relate! Tampons are a big deal. I mean c’mon, 70% of women use tampons and usually transition to them after wearing pads for the first couple of years. It’s the first thing that goes INSIDE our vagina (most of the time), and there are so many different brands to choose from. Unfortunately, many brands choose not to disclose their full ingredient list, and toxic shock syndrome is a very real concern. Oh, and let’s not forget the money we spend every month on these little gadgets. Aside from all the downsides of tampons, there is hope and a few companies like Natracare have started making organic tampons that are good for your body (no chlorine or toxic chemicals) and the environment (no plastic applicators). So, if you’re a die-hard tampon user, think again about the consequences that little piece of cotton will have on your body AND mother earth. Do your research!

 

Menstrual cups

*Our friend’s reactions when we say we use a menstrual cup* “Wait, what? So your period is just sitting there? How do you put it in? That’s so weird.” A lot of menstruating humans don’t even know menstrual cups exist! If you ask us, it’s the best thing to happen to periods ;) *wink wink*. Think about the benefits you can get by using a menstrual cup – it’s good for the environment because you’re no longer sending plastic tampon applicators, wrappers, and pads into oceans and landfills. Lunette cup is 100% vegan, made with medical-grade silicone that is not harmful for your vagina, it keeps you leak-free for up to 12 hours, and both our packaging AND cup are biodegradable. Some people are skeptical of using a menstrual cup because they’re afraid of it or are grossed out from their own blood. #BREAKTHEPERIODTABOO. We guarantee the benefits are worth it.

 

Comment below if you’ve used period panties, tampons, or menstrual cups! We’re dying to hear what you think.

Leave a comment